Caring for someone you love takes unwavering commitment and an endless amount of love. At WesleyLife's adult day centers, we're here to help both of you. You'll be the caregiver you desire and your loved one will maintain their independence and health.
WesleyLife's adult day centers ensure individuals who need assistance and involvement during the day enjoy a renewed sense of independence, while also receiving the support and encouragement they need. More than just a place to spend the day, WesleyLife's adult day centers provide an environment focusing on what participants "can" do by giving them a purposeful and fulfilling day.
Three locations in Iowa
WesleyLife provides adult day services through Lending Hands in Washington, W.T. and Edna Dahl Wesley Adult Day Center in Des Moines, and Willowbrook in Newton. Our hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Come one or five days a week; come for a half day or full day.
- W.T. and Edna Dahl Wesley Adult Day Center, 3520 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50312, 515-271-6701
- Willowbrook, 501 East 2nd St. North, Newton, Iowa 50208, 641-791-4500
- Lending Hands, 301 Hwy 1 and 92 North, Washington, Iowa 52353, 319-653-2661
Caring and compassionate team members
Team members work closely with each participant, along with loved ones, to create a personalized program tailored to each person. They take time to get to know participants on an individual basis, discovering their special interests, supporting them in their challenges, and encouraging independence in mind and spirit. This approach creates an enriching environment for every person we serve – an environment where they are able to live life to the fullest.
Who can participate?
Adult day services are available for any adult age 45 or older who desires social interaction and involvement with other adults or who has experienced a decreased ability to accomplish daily tasks independently. This includes persons with memory loss, mobility challenges or other health concerns. Each center provides a coordinated program of professional and compassionate services for adults in a community-based group setting.
What does a typical day look like?
Every day is different, but participants always have an opportunity to enjoy social times with others.
- Social events provide interaction with other participants and are tailored to specific needs. Participants enjoy community speakers, music, cooking classes, creative art projects, exercise sessions, and more. This purposeful and meaningful stimulation is not only enjoyable, but also enriching for participants.
- Transportation services can be arranged, giving caregivers peace of mind that their loved ones are traveling to and from our adult day centers safely. Participants also enjoy a sense of independence when they are not relying on a caregiver for transportation.
- Meals and refreshments are delicious and dietitian-approved according to each person's nutritional needs. Mealtime also provides an opportunity for participants to feel productive as they help with preparation and clean-up.
- Personal care assistance includes regular health assessments and provides assistance with activities of daily living, including bathing. Weight, blood pressure, podiatry care, dietary habits and cognitive skills are regularly monitored, with changes reported to each person's doctor and family members. Staff nurses collaborate with participants' doctors, adhering to all orders regarding medications, diet and overall health and well-being.
- Daily events provide exercise and mental interaction for all participants, helping maintain physical strength and flexibility, as well as mental acuity. Participants regularly contribute by leading an exercise or choosing a favorite game. Plenty of laughter and fun also offer valuable therapeutic benefits.
Paying for adult day services
Individuals with the financial ability pay directly for their services.
WesleyLife also offers financial assistance through generous donations and grants made by individuals and corporations to our communities. Financial assistance may also be available through:
- Medicaid waivers (including elderly, ill, handicapped, brain injury, intellectual disability)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Funding through Area Agencies on Aging
- Iowa Caregiver Fund
- Many long-term care insurance policies include adult day services
- WesleyLife Good Samaritan Fund
For more information about financial assistance, contact the local adult day center director:
Des Moines, Maria Jordan, 515-271-6701 or email us
Newton, Kelsey Terpstra, 641-791-4500 or email us
Washington, Tracy Laws, 319-653-2661 or email us
Help us help others
Lending Hands, W. T. and Edna Dahl Wesley Adult Day Center and Willowbrook are services of WesleyLife Inc., a nonprofit, faith-based 501(c)3 organization dedicated to enhancing the independence, health and well-being of older adults. As such, we depend on contributions from friends and community members. Please help by making a donation that supports older adults and their caregivers.