Paying for care
Medicare and Medicaid cover the cost of hospice services, as do most private insurance plans. However, WesleyLife Hospice will not turn anyone away due to an inability to pay for care.
What does Medicare cover?
Medicare covers these hospice services and pays nearly the entirety their costs:
- Doctor services
- Nursing care
- Medical equipment (such as wheelchairs or walkers)
- Medical supplies (such as bandages and catheters)
- Drugs for symptom control and pain related to the life-limiting illness
- Short-term care, including respite and inpatient care for pain and symptom management
- Home health aide and homemaker services
- Social-work services
- Dietary counseling
- Grief support for patient and family
You are eligible for Medicare hospice benefits when you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are eligible for Medicare Part A (inpatient coverage).
- Your doctor and the hospice medical director certify that you have a life-limiting illness and that if the disease runs its normal course, death may be expected in six months or less.
- You sign a statement choosing hospice care instead of routine Medicare-covered benefits for your illness*.
- You receive care from a Medicare-approved hospice program.
*Medicare will still pay for covered benefits for any health needs that aren’t related to your life-limiting illness.
What does Medicaid cover?
Medicaid's hospice benefit includes services furnished to individuals with life-limiting illnesses. These services include: nursing; medical social services; physician services; counseling services for the patient, family, and others caring for the patient at home; short-term inpatient care, medical appliances and supplies; home health aide and homemaker services; physical therapy; occupational therapy; and speech-language pathology services.
For additional information regarding Medicaid coverage, visit Medicaid.gov, or call WesleyLife Hospice at (515) 978-2777.
Call 515-271-6777 (day and night) or contact us electronically and a representative will contact as soon as they receive your email.