At our WesleyLife communities, serving residents and clients with memory challenges is an important part of our mission. We promote our commitment to serving residents and clients who require memory care through a person-directed model of living. This means we encourage all residents and clients to express choice and practice self-determination in meaningful ways at every level of daily life.
Choice, dignity, and respect are essential to this philosophy of self-determination and purposeful living. We employ team members who value respect and dignity in their approach to caring for the individuals we serve.
What Is Person-Directed Living?
Person-directed living places individual preference and choice at the forefront of any plan for services and care, ensuring respect for the uniqueness of the resident or client. For residents and team members, making choices about their lives, being listened to and heard, and being recognized as individuals who need connection are basic human rights.
- Foster a collective sense of autonomy, dignity, and individual choice.
- Encourage residents and clients to own their lifestyles and routines.
- Enhance relationships among residents, team members, families, and support systems.
- Understand resident and client preferences and how desired services should be delivered.
Here are a few ways we illustrate this philosophy of care:
- Our residents and clients are surrounded by team members who are unhurried, patient, and caring.
- Our memory care households are homelike and non-clinical, calling to mind a comfortable living room, kitchen, and bedroom rather than a hospital or doctor's office.
- We offer customized programming designed around residents’ likes and interests and provide technology designed to relieve anxiety and offer relaxation and comfort.
- We honor our residents’ preferred meal times and menu choices.
- Residents drive their care and sleep routines. There are no “we only give showers on certain days of the week, and lights-out at 10” rules in our communities.
Is Memory Care Right For Your Family?
We would love to meet you and your loved one to determine how we can help. Contact us to learn more, schedule a private tour or consultation, or explore our unique campuses and find the right community for your loved one.