Home is more than just a place to lay your head at night. Many older adults feel immense pride in homeownership. Aging in place is both a challenge and a goal, with 77 percent of older adults telling AARP they want to remain in their homes as they age. In the University of Michigan’s National Poll on Healthy Aging, 88 percent of older adults reported that aging in place is important, and most say they’ve contemplated home renovations to make remaining at home easier. However, many people find remaining in their homes to be challenging, especially if they live alone.
WesleyLife’s array of at-home services offers options for seniors living alone who do not want to move. Here’s how to maximize the benefits and minimize the stress of remaining in your home.
Benefits of Remaining at Home
Remaining at home may feel like the natural choice, especially if your needs haven’t significantly changed as you’ve grown older. You’ll reside in a familiar setting, continue enjoying the same routine, and won’t need to worry about the stress of major lifestyle changes. Some people take great pride in owning a home or living alone. Others want to remain where some of their most important memories have taken place. Your reasons for staying in your home are as unique as you are, and they are all valid.
The Challenges of Living at Home
Remaining at home comes with some valuable benefits, but many older adults find that the realities of living at home don’t live up to their hopes. As your needs change, remaining in your home can become a source of stress.
Some common challenges include:
- Making modifications to your home, such as installing ramps or moving the bedroom to the first floor.
- Experiencing isolation, particularly if you live alone, live in a remote area, or no longer drive.
- Worrying about what you might do if you were injured or needed help.
- Discovering new ways to enjoy your time. Finding enriching experiences can be tough, and scheduling time with friends and family may involve more coordination and logistical issues than you anticipated.
- Maintaining your home, including physically demanding tasks such as mowing or cleaning. This can be especially difficult if your property is larger than you need it to be.
WesleyLife Offers Options for Seniors Living Alone
WesleyLife At-Home services provide supportive options for seniors living alone. These services can empower you to live life your way. Whether you want significant support or just a meal here and there, we’re here for you. As your needs change, your services can adjust and scale with you. For example, a client who normally receives a few hours of housework help each week could add medical assistance and meal delivery for a short time after surgery.
The services we offer include:
Home care services are versatile and based entirely on your needs. We offer medical assistance that includes:
- Medication and injection management and assistance
- Management of diabetes and other chronic conditions
- Health education
- Wound care
- Health assessments
- Lab-sample collections (e.g., blood draws)
- Occupational, physical, and speech therapies
- Rehabilitative support and care
Assistance can be helpful even if you don’t have medical needs. Our friendly home care aides also offer non-medical support, including:
- Assistance with activities of daily living (e.g., bathing and dressing)
- Tidying and cleaning
- Pet care and pet-walking
- Meal preparation
- Shopping and errands
- Emotional support when you go to the doctor
- Care coordination and assessment
- Companionship (e.g., someone to enjoy a card game or favorite show with you)
Many clients say they like the freedom and independence of choosing the services they need, rather than having to rely on family and friends.
If you want to become more active but don’t know where to begin, consider a WellAhead program at any WesleyLife Community for Healthy Living. WellAhead is designed for people who don’t live on our campuses but are interested in our well-being options.
With WellAhead, you’ll enjoy:
- All the benefits of a wellness center, including the latest exercise equipment (e.g., treadmills, ellipticals, NuSteps, weight machines, free weights) to meet any need and interest level.
- The expertise of wellness professionals who are uniquely qualified to work with clients 50 and older and will tailor your routine to fit your goals. Whether you’re a workout veteran or have never stepped on a treadmill, our team is there to offer assistance and support.
- A variety of classes and personal-training options to suit your interests and help you meet your fitness goals.
You can learn more about WellAhead programming by contacting our well-being team.
Meals on Wheels
Nutrition is a key ingredient in the recipe for good health. However, meal preparation can be time-consuming and difficult. WesleyLife Meals on Wheels offers delicious, nourishing meals delivered right to your door, relieving the stress of daily meal preparation and providing a regular weekday visitor.
You can decide how many deliveries you need, whether you want daily meals or just a day off from cooking each week. We offer a variety of gourmet meals, so you can always look forward to what’s on the menu. Choose from two warm meals and one deli option every day. You can even have freezer meals delivered for the weekend!
Offering Empowering Options for Adults Living Alone
The services you use are up to you. We can work with you to determine the right level of support based on your goals and needs.
If living at home is beginning to feel overwhelming or you’re unsure which long-term options are right for you, we can help! Take this assessment to weigh whether it’s time to seek help.
Post Topic(s): INDEPENDENT LIVING | AT-HOME SERVICES | WESLEYLIFE AT HOME