You want your loved one to enjoy the day -- not simply wait for you to get home. WesleyLife Adult Day Services can help your family member maintain independence and health when you can't be with him or her.
Our Adult Day Centers ensure individuals who need assistance and involvement during the day enjoy a sense of independence while receiving support and encouragement -- and participate in meaningful activities that enable them to look forward to coming back the next day!
Three locations in Iowa
WesleyLife provides adult day services through Lending Hands in Washington, Dahl Wesley Adult Day Center on the Wesley Acres campus in Des Moines, and Willowbrook on the Park Centre campus in Newton. Our hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Come one or five days a week; come for a half day or full day.
- Dahl Adult Day Center, 3520 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50312, (515) 271-6701
- Willowbrook, 501 East 2nd St. North, Newton, Iowa 50208, (641) 791-4500
- Lending Hands, 301 Hwy 1 and 92 North, Washington, Iowa 52353, (319) 653-2661
Caring and compassionate team members
Team members work closely with each participant and his or her family members to create a personalized program tailored to each person. They take time to get to know participants on an individual basis, discovering their special interests, supporting them in their challenges, and encouraging independence in mind and spirit. This approach creates an enriching environment for every person we serve – an environment where they're able to live lives of purpose and meaning.
Who can participate?
Adult day services are available for any adult age 45 or older who desires social interaction and involvement with other adults, or who has experienced a decreased ability to accomplish daily tasks independently. This includes individuals with memory loss, mobility challenges, or other health concerns. Each center provides a coordinated program of professional and compassionate services for adults in a community-based group setting.
What does a typical day look like?
Every day is different, but participants always have an opportunity to enjoy social times with others.
- Social events provide interaction with other participants and are tailored to specific needs. Participants enjoy community speakers, music, cooking classes, creative art projects, exercise sessions, and more. This purposeful and meaningful stimulation is not only enjoyable, but also enriching for participants.
- Transportation services can be arranged, giving caregivers peace of mind that their loved ones are traveling to and from our adult day centers safely. Participants also enjoy a sense of independence when they are not relying on a caregiver for transportation.
- Meals and refreshments are delicious and dietitian-approved. In addition to serving as important social time, mealtimes also provide an opportunity for participants to feel productive as they assist with preparation and clean-up.
- Personal care assistance includes regular health assessments and provides assistance with activities of daily living, including bathing. Weight, blood pressure, podiatry care, dietary habits, and cognitive skills are regularly monitored, with changes reported to each person's health care provider and family members. Staff nurses collaborate with participants' doctors, adhering to all orders regarding medications, diet, and overall health and well-being.
- Daily events provide exercise and mental interaction for all participants, helping to maintain physical strength and flexibility, as well as mental acuity. Participants regularly contribute by leading an exercise or choosing a favorite game. Plenty of laughter and fun also offer valuable therapeutic benefits.
Paying for adult day services
Individuals with the financial ability are asked to pay directly for their services.
WesleyLife also offers financial assistance through generous donations and grants made by individuals and corporations. Financial assistance may also be available through:
- Medicaid waivers (including elderly, ill, handicapped, brain injury, intellectual disability)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Funding through Area Agencies on Aging
- Iowa Caregiver Fund
- Many long-term care insurance policies, including Adult Day services
- WesleyLife Good Samaritan Fund
For more information about financial assistance, contact your local Adult Day director:
Des Moines, Maria Jordan, (515) 271-6701 or email us
Newton, Kelsey Terpstra, (641) 791-4500 or email us
Washington, Tracy Laws, (319) 653-2661 or email us
Help us help others
Lending Hands, Dahl Adult Day Center, and Willowbrook are services of WesleyLife Inc., a nonprofit, faith-based 501(c)3 organization dedicated to enhancing the independence, health and well-being of older adults. As such, we depend on contributions from friends and community members. Please help by making a donation that supports older adults and their caregivers.