Hurricane Harvey -- Doing Our Part
WesleyLife team members, residents, and clients have committed to helping UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee on Relief, collect needed cleaning supplies for victims of Hurricane Harvey to use after the waters begin to recede.
We are asking each WesleyLife location to assemble 5 UMCOR cleaning kits by next Tuesday, September 5. Members of the public are welcome to drop off kits to be included in the effort, and WesleyLife will take care of getting them transported to Texas and Louisiana.
A kit consists of:
- One 5-gallon bucket with resealable lid (buckets from fast-food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned -- do not use buckets that have stored chemicals such as paint or pool cleaner. Advertisements on the outside are acceptable.)
- Liquid laundry detergent (One 50-oz. bottle or two 25-oz. bottles only)
- Liquid household cleaner (12‐16 oz. liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water -- no spray cleaners)
- Dish soap (16‐28 oz. bottle, any brand)
- 1 can air freshener (aerosol or pump)
- 1 insect-repellent spray (6‐14 oz. aerosol or spray pump with protective cover)
- 1 scrub brush with plastic or wooden handle
- 18 cleaning wipes (Handi-Wipes or reusable wipes; no terry cleaning towels; remove from packaging)
- 7 sponges (no cellulose sponges due to mold issues; remove from packaging)
- 5 scouring pads (No stainless steel, Brillo pads, or SOS pads -- nothing with soap built in. Remove from wrapper.)
- 50 clothespins
- Clothesline (one 100-ft. or two 50-ft. lines, cotton or plastic)
- 24-roll heavy-duty trash bags (33‐ to 45-gallon sizes; remove from box)
- 5 dust masks
- 2 pairs kitchen dishwashing gloves (should be durable enough for multiple uses; remove from packaging)
- 1 pair work gloves (all-cotton, all-leather, or cotton with leather palm)
Place all liquid items in the bucket first. Place remaining items in the bucket, fitting them around and between the liquid items. Sponges, scouring pads, clothespins, and trash bags can be separated in order to fit all of the items in the bucket. Ensure the lid is closed securely.
Because of the nature of the effort, please do not drop off individual items. If you would like to participate, please drop off an entire kit. You may drop them off at our Network Support Center in Johnston or at any other WesleyLife location before Wednesday, September 6.
If you have questions, please reach out to Lisa Ryan, Director of Marketing and Communications for WesleyLife.