What’s your ideal holiday season? Do you prefer to snuggle up by a fire and read a good book? Is holiday adventure more your speed? Or are the holidays a chance to enjoy cultural events and the local arts scene?
No matter what you’re into, Des Moines is a great place to spend the holiday season. Here, you can fill your calendar with meaningful events and activities. But the holidays wouldn’t be the same without friends and loved ones! These holiday activities for seniors include something for everyone to enjoy. Here are our suggestions for ideal holiday activities in Des Moines.
Activities to Try at Home
Staying home and cozying up doesn’t mean boredom. Here are some great ideas for enjoying the holidays from the warmth and comfort of your home (or while on a quick walk around the neighborhood).
- Gather some friends and go caroling in your neighborhood to spread holiday cheer, or host your own caroling party at home by making desserts and singing together.
- Plan a recipe swap party and cook a few of the best options together. Then, consider donating some freshly made meals to a local soup kitchen or delivering snacks to a shelter.
- Plan a white elephant party! Invite everyone to bring the most ridiculous or outrageous presents they can think of for a gift swap.
- Craft your gifts to save cash and give something personalized and meaningful. Make it even more fun by planning a holiday crafting party, so you can knock out a bunch of gifts while enjoying time with people you love.
- Learn to make cocktails or mocktails.
- Make a holiday wreath. Or, for a fun twist, try turning succulents into a living wreath.
Activities to Try in the Community
Want to explore the wider Des Moines community and enjoy some unique holiday events? Here are our top picks:
- Give back this holiday season. Volunteering can nurture a sense of purpose, and may even make holiday stress feel less overwhelming. Use the United Way’s volunteer search engine to find the perfect volunteer role for the holiday season (or beyond).
- Take your home cocktail party out into the community and hone your art skills at a local sip and paint spot.
- Skip the letters and mall lines, and speak directly to the big guy himself. Head to Breakfast with Santa at the Outlets of Des Moines, and maybe knock out some holiday shopping while you’re there.
- If you dream of a world in which the magic of the North Pole is real, look no further than Holiday Hullabaloo. This immersive experience includes a visit to Santa’s workshop and a chance to make cookies in Mrs. Claus’ kitchen.
- If you love crafting or baking, check out Holiday Delights. You’ll leave with six treats you made yourself, as well as a holiday tin perfect for gifting.
- The holidays are an ideal time to take in the vibrant Des Moines cultural scene. Here are our top picks for holiday performances:
- Michael W. Smith heads to Des Moines for a classic holiday concert December 17.
- Enjoy the Nutcracker with fellow ballet lovers at the Ballet Des Moines performance of the Nutcracker.
- Get into the holiday spirit early at a live performance of A Charlie Brown Christmas, December 2-17.
- If you love celtic music or want to honor your own Irish heritage, head to Irish Christmas in America, December 7-8.
As you grow older, you may find that the holidays and all they symbolize become even more important to you. Don’t limit the fun to a single season, though! Check out our free guide, Living Your Best Life After 55, to make the most of every moment.