Guest Blog: Find Ways to Move Naturally Every Day!
Did you know the longest-lived people in the world don’t run marathons or join gyms?
They don't need to. They move naturally.
Throughout the remainder of summer, make it your goal to find ways to incorporate movement into your daily life that you can maintain and sustain. Use the stairs instead of the elevator, find an indoor or outdoor walking path in your neighborhood or at your community, or participate in a little gardening or another activity that keeps you active each day.
Physical activity is an important part of healthy aging and can reduce the risk of premature death. According to the Centers for Disease Control, physical activity can help delay, prevent, or manage many costly chronic diseases faced by adults 50 years or older. Despite these known benefits, 31 million adults age 50 or older are inactive.
Ready to get started? You don't have to live on one of our campuses to become an active member of WesleyLife's WellAhead fitness program! Reach your goals through an assessment, coaching and goal-setting, and access to group fitness classes in our wellness centers. As a bonus, you'll build new friendships with your neighbors!
If you live in one of our communities, see your Wellness Director to get involved; if you don't live on one of our campuses, call (515) 978-2777 to get started!
Just a few closing words about the benefits of physical activity:
- It reduces the risk of dying from coronary heart disease and of developing high blood pressure, colon cancer, and diabetes.
- It helps maintain the ability to live independently and reduces the risk of falling and fracturing bones.
- It can help reduce blood pressure in some people with hypertension.
- It helps people with chronic, disabling conditions improve their stamina and muscle strength.
- It reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression, and fosters improvements in mood and feelings of well-being.
- It helps maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- It helps control joint swelling and pain associated with arthritis.
What are you waiting for? :) Make National Wellness Month your new beginning, and get started today!